Health Champions launch HEALTHY FOOD CHARTER to guide our activities
Through our Cook and Eat projects, training courses and our Café, we want to help everyone to take a positive approach to food, by enjoying healthy meals that are varied and tasty as well as nutritious. We are all unique, we all have different likes and dislikes, different nutritional needs and different social circumstances – and this will all affect what we eat and how we eat. And we can all eat a healthy diet for us – easily and cheaply. That is what we are trying to help people to do.
In order to do this we will encourage everyone to:-
- Eat a wide variety of different foods
- Eat more vegetables (including peas, beans and corn, fresh, frozen and canned and fruit
- Eat less sugar – by reducing sugar (as sugar, honey, syrups and concentrated fruit juices) added to food and possible switch to use of low calorie sweeteners
- Eat less fat, especially saturated fat
- Have a higher fibre intake (through encouraging more wholegrain products and vegetable and fruit intake)
- Limit their salt intake and using other flavourings in food
- Drink plenty of fluid, especially encouraging non-sweetened drinks
- Encourage people to be able to cook meals from “scratch” and gain confidence to be able to do this
- Eat the right amount of food to be a healthy weight
- Encourage the trial of new foods, especially in children.
You can find our complete Healthy Food Charter here, so take a look and let us know what you think!